Tuesday, August 25, 2026

I Will Always Love Her

The world lost a virtual angel today. There will be countless stories about Dolly Parton's generosity, her charitable work, and what she meant to the world—and especially to Tennessee. I can only tell you what she meant to me.

Earlier I posted that Dolly was a constant in my life and that's not an exaggeration. I can't remember a time that I didn't know who she was; she's just always been there. By the time I was aware of her, she was already famous. I remember hearing her songs in the house and in the car. On an 8-track. My mom and I sang along to 'Coat of Many Colors', 'Islands in the Stream', and 'The Bargain Store.' She was the soundtrack of my childhood.

I distinctly remember my mom letting me watch 'The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas' with her because it was my first R-rated movie and I couldn't believe my luck. I've watched 'Steel Magnolias' more times than I can count and one of her lines is one I think of often. "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

As I grew into adulthood, I appreciated her in a deeper way. 'Hard Candy Christmas' has gotten me through some melancholy moments during the holidays. She was an icon but so relatable. 

Moving to Tennessee and joining the burlesque community unexpectedly put me within two degrees of Dolly through more than one person. My favorite—and most fortunate—connection is that we were photographed by the same photographer. She attended the Smoky Mountain Burlesque Festival the night before I was there. The performers that night said that she went backstage and told them it was the most fun she'd had since 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.' 

In 2019, she celebrated her 50th anniversary with The Grand Ole Opry. My friend from Washington came to Nashville with her sister and a couple of other friends to attend the performance. One of the friends had to bail to take care of a child and her ticket was offered to me. I might have peed my pants in excitement when I found out. All those little connections to her had delighted me, but actually seeing her? At her 50th Opry anniversary? That will forever be one of the very best surprises of my life.

And then there were the little things. I learned a few years ago that she once had a Boston Terrier named Popeye. Despite what she said about looking "trashy," she obviously had good taste. 

Now her legacy will live on through my two favorite boys. Both my nephew and my grandson receive books through her Imagination Library. That makes four generations of my family that she has touched. And I know we're not the only ones. 

Because I'm in Nashville, I drove by her house on my way home. I don't go that way often because it takes me longer to get home, but I wanted to see if her gate had yet turned into a memorial. Of course it had. Within just hours people were gathering to leave flowers, notes, signs, stuffed animals. I expect by tomorrow the street will be full. 

Yeah, this loss is a big one. It hurts. But how lucky are we to have shared this planet with such a bright light of hope, joy, and generosity?

I'm not sure we deserved her. But we can keep her spirit alive by spreading a little more kindness and gratitude of our own.

As for me, I will love her. Always.

0 comments:

 
The Martini Chronicles. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino