I got a bit of a late start in my planting this year so I bought tomato plants instead of doing seeds. And then there was Weather and Life so I got those planted in my containers late too. When I finally got to it, one of the plants was half dead. I tore off the dead piece and threw it over the fence around my patio. And went on with my life.
A few weeks ago, I went around to the back to take my trash can to the curb and guess what I found?
That dead piece wasn't dead. That dead piece had rooted itself in the ground and grown! I never watered it. I mean, I hadn't ever thought about it again so why would I? It decided to live anyway. Basically from whatever rainwater it gets. Maybe the moisture in the air? I don't know. AND it has proffered more fruit than the pathetic things I've been tending to so diligently. And THEN it has the absolute gall to taste better!
I told my neighbor that, while I'm out of town this week, she can help herself to the trashcan tomatoes that will ripen in my absence. Yeah, that's what I call it. Trashcan Tomato. It probably deserves a better name, but it's scrappy enough that I don't think it would mind.
It might mind me eating its fruit though since I am the one that so completely discarded it. Maybe I should start playing it some Pink Martini.
0 comments:
Post a Comment